The fruit is ripe 1961 online dating
The OS 6 inch sheet (Glamorgan XL) records "human remains" as having been found on Stormy Down in 1870, near the southern limit of the so called "Danish Camp" but nothing appears to be known of these remains.
The present burial lay some 350 yards North-West of this discovery.
The bones, though sodden, were mostly well preserved, although the more spongy parts had largely decayed and the upper portions had been damaged when the grave was first discovered. It may have been lost in the course of building the grave, entering later with the soil. Camb., 1919, p345)) - the present example may have been intended for use either as knife or scraper. Fleure & Mr Sansbury (see Appendix below) has shown the skeleton to be that of an adult male in middle life & revealed features which suggest that the skull was "at least sub-brachycephalic," and that the individual may therefore have been of Beaker type.
Fortunately the skull-fragments had been recovered & preserved and a report on these, for which I have to thank Prof. The flake (fig.4) shows a pronounced bulb of percussion at the thicker end; the opposite end is rounded and with the left-hand side, brought to an edge by secondary working. Cists of somewhat similar type associated with Beaker-burials are described by John Ward in his account of "Prehistoric Burials, Merthyr Mawr Warren, Glamorgan (Arch. Camb., 1925, p 11) at the beginning of the Bronze Age.
A snippet of information on maps of Glamorgan - the following is from the Glamorgan section of Ogilby's strip-map "The Road from London to St David's" first published in 1675. In South Wales during the 19th century the rapid development of heavy industries & coal mining created centres of dense populations where voluntary efforts to provide education in many areas proved inadequate & ineffective.
Place names & notable buildings can be seen on this section from Aberavon to Cowbridge (A48). The characteristic feature of the industrial evolution of South Wales during the first half of the 19th century was the growth & expansion of the ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgical industries.
The driving force behind the club in the early days was Mr Will "Rowe" Williams and early club captains included Mr William John Rogers & Mr Bob James, the latter was father of Jack James who kept a butcher's shop in Commercial Street.
The game of Rugby Football proved a welcome respite from such problems and by the end of the 19th century it occupied (in inductrial Wales) the same position as Associated Football did in indutrial England.
in maximum dimensions, the floor of which had been prepared for the body by a layer of oolitic limestone flakes. The removal of the capstone showed the grave to be full of comparatively clean tightly packed soil which revealed no trace on its surface of the remains it contained. The cist was too roughly built to be thoroughly earth-tight.It also provided a bearing to navigate the Nash Swatch channel. A few small colliery schools were beginning to appear during this period, before monetary grants began to flow from the government.